We normally eat tofu in a simple way. We just fry it until golden brown then dip it in a mixture of oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and green onions. Another simple tofu recipe is the Sisig Tofu that I blogged before which came from a cooking show of Chef Boy Logro. Today I’m going to share to you another tofu recipe that I made and that vegetarians will surely love.
One of my colleagues avoids eating tofu since it’s made from soy beans. Actually he tries to avoid different types of beans because, according to him, this can cause or trigger his arthritis. I don’t know if this is true or if this is another myth that was passed on by the elders (we Filipinos used to believe in “sabi ng matatanda”). So I Googled and found an article from livestrong.com. Instead of triggering or causing arthritis, tofu has some qualities that actually decrease the symptoms of arthritis. The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine explains that all meat products, whether beef, chicken, turkey or pork, have inflammatory qualities which can worsen the pain and swelling from arthritis. Tofu can be used as a high-protein replacement for meats a few times a week.
Based on livestrong.com, my colleague’s beliefs about arthritis and tofu could be a myth. Probably his arthritis is triggered by other foods and not tofu nor any beans. If you have arthritis, better consult a physician to know the list of foods that should be avoided to prevent arthritis. Anyway, here’s my tofu and beans recipe. I would be glad to hear comments from you.
Tofu and Beans
- 3 pcs Firm Tofu, diced
- 10 -15 pcs Green Beans (Baguio Beans), chopped
- 1/8 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Toast sesame seeds in a pan with a little bit of oil. Set aside.
- Fry tofu in the same pan until golden brown.
- While frying the tofu, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, water, flour and oyster sauce in a bowl.
- Cook the sauce in a separate pan until thick. Set aside.
- Cook green beans together with tofu for 5 minutes.
- Mix the sauce together with tofu and beans in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve and Enjoy!