Leche Flan

Ryan Lagunzad | 9/13/2013 | 0 comments | Category: , ,

My wife and I are craving for leche flan. The last time we ate this was during our stay at my brother’s place in Cavite. We went to Adobo Connection that time to try other adobo dishes and to eat flan turon. Flan turon was their version of leche flan wrapped in egg roll wrapper and then deep fried.

I know I had made a leche flan recipe way back in college. Actually, it was just an experiment and I was just trying to help my sister that time. She has this recipe book that she bought from school and she was tasked to make leche flan. She’s an HRM student by the way. She followed the recipe as is. After the mixing and the cooking, I can’t wait to see and taste the final product. After the pan has cooled, she flips it on a plate and to her surprise it splashed all over the plate. I laughed so hard and it was really a great disappointment. It looked like a “taho” with “arnibal” (sugar syrup). So for the next batch, we worked together and added some more eggs to the recipe, about 2 to 3 I guess. The leche flan turned out well (at least as to how it looks) but the taste is a bit bland for me. It’s such a shame that a good school with a good name published or endorse recipe books like this. Aren’t they cooking what they are writing in the recipe book? But maybe it could be a typographical error. Ummm???

Leche Flan Recipe

Back to the present. So I Googled for a leche flan recipe and found one at Panlasang Pinoy. It was different from the recipe book that my sister has. He uses egg yolks, sugar, condensed and fresh milk, and vanilla whereas my sister’s recipe book uses whole eggs, sugar and evaporated milk. Now I know why it tasted bland. I revised the recipe a bit because it calls for a cup of fresh milk but I only have a small can of evaporated milk which is about 3/4 cup. I just estimated the amounts of egg yolks and milk in my recipe. The end product has the creaminess that I want and the sweetness is just right for me. I hope you will like the recipe and please leave a comment so I know what’s on your mind.

Leche Flan

Ingredients
  • 8 Egg Yolks
  • 1 can (168mL) Condensed Milk
  • 1 can (154mL) Evaporated Milk
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • Sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Place about 2 - 3 tablespoon of sugar in each llanera or mold.
  2. Place the mold in low heat and melt the sugar until it turns light brown liquid. Set aside to let it cool.
  3. Separate yolks from the egg white.
  4. In a bowl, combine egg yolks, milk and vanilla and whisk it until combined. It is advisable not to whisk it too hard to prevent air bubbles in the mixture.
  5. Pour the egg-milk mixture in the mold and cover it with aluminum foil.
  6. Steam the mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
  7. After steaming, let it cool down and refrigerate.
  8. Serve and Enjoy!



0 comments