Tobacco Cessation - Quit For Good

Ryan Lagunzad | 4/15/2013 | 0 comments | Category: , , ,

According to the studies conducted by British researchers from the University of Bristol, every cigarette that you smoke was determined to shorten your lifespan. It has been determined that there is a decreased of about 6.5 years in the life expectancy of smokers as compared to non-smokers. If we convert that to the time lost per cigarette consumed, you lost about 11 minutes of your life in every cigarette that you smoke. (Source: Livestrong.com)

Stop Smoking For Good
Photo Credit: Smoke Away

I've been smoking cigarette since college (2003). It started with a simple curiosity that turns into a hobby. Most of the people I know share the same reason on why they are smoking. Some of the reasons are peer pressure, an act of rebellion against parents, or the commonly foolish reason, to be "in".

I remember the first time I smoked, I cough so intensely due to the unpleasant feeling that I felt inside my throat. The taste wasn't good either. One side of my brain is telling me to stop as early as now but the other side is also forcing me to try it again. The will to learn to smoke prevailed. I keep on trying in inhaling every smoke that comes out from the cigarette until my throat gets used to the taste. My lungs had managed to accept the smoke that gets into it. Finally, after consuming a single stick I know I can do it again.

Smoking is Deadly
Photo Credit: peterpeers
After becoming a full pledge smoker, my self-esteem boost. I felt so different. Others treat me like "astig". And that motivated me to continue smoking. On my peak, I'm probably consuming 10 sticks per day. I exceed those 10 sticks during drinking sessions with friends. When my mentor on cigarette smoking knew about that, he forced me to cut down my cigarette consumption. My girlfriend (my present wife today, yeey!) also forces me to stop. I tried to stop in an instant but that lasted only for 2 months. I can't fight the temptations. When I see my friends smoking I get tempted. I always end up lighting up my own cigarette. 

But what's good about me is that I swore to decrease my consumption. From 10 I cut it down to 5. After a year or so I decreased it again. Last year (2012), I'm consuming 1 stick a day. I tried to smoke in alternate days until I manage to turn it into "occasional". When I say occasional, it means smoking only during drinking sessions or when there are occasions. So that was like smoking once a month.

January 1, 2013, exactly new year after going out from work (yeah we have to go to work even on holidays), I smoked the last cigarette that I will ever lit in my entire life. That's a promise! Up to the present I haven't smoke yet. Even if I see someone smoking, even if someone is forcing me, or even if we have a bunch of occasions to celebrate I will never smoke again. Finally, I can say that I had managed to stop smoking and I'm really quitting for good.
Stop Smoking Mind Map
Photo Credit: mindmapinspiration
If you would ask me what I'm feeling right now, well, I feel rejuvenated. My breathing is normal again. I can do lots of stuffs without getting tired so easily. I feel stronger. I feel like my appetite is boosted and I'm really eating a lot just a few months after I quit smoking. Probably I will gain more weight this year. That's what I always dream of, to surpass my "underweight" status and to have a normal body built.

If you are a smoker and "finally" have decided to start to quit smoking consider these tips from Reader's Digest. I'm pretty sure these tips will help you succeed in tobacco cessation.

1. Make an honest list of all the things you like about smoking.
2. Then make another list of why quitting won’t be easy.
3. Set a quit date.
4. Write all your reasons for quitting on an index card.
5. As you’re getting ready to quit, stop buying cartons of cigarettes.
6. Keep a list of when you smoke, what you’re doing at the time, and how bad the craving is
7. Prepare a list of things to do when a craving hits.
8. When your quit date arrives, throw out anything that reminds you of smoking.
9. Instead of a cigarette break at work, play a game of solitaire on your computer.
10. Switch to a cup of herbal tea whenever you usually have a cigarette.
11. Switch your cigarette habit for a nut habit
12. Carry some cinnamon-flavored toothpicks with you.
13. Make an appointment with an acupuncturist.
14. Swing by the health food store for some Avena sativa (oat) extract.
15. Think of difficult things you have done in the past.
16. To minimize cravings, change your routine.
17. Tell your friends, coworkers, boss, partner, kids, etc.
18. If you relapse, just start again.
19. Put all the money you’re saving on cigarettes in a large glass jar.
20. Switch to decaf until you've been cigarette-free for two months.
21. Create a smoke-free zone.
22. Find a healthy snack food you can keep with you and use in place of cigarettes
23. Picture yourself playing tennis.
24. Quit when you’re in a good mood.
25. Post this list in a visible location in your house.
Share...
Do you know a cigarette smoker around you? Do you want to help them quit smoking and change their lives for the better? If you do, then share this post to them. You can use the buttons below.



0 comments